Friday 2 January 2015

Goodbye London, I'm moving on.





I just arrived back from my short few days in London. Normally, I'd be depressed and I'd feel like I had just left my home behind. I'd feel like I had gone on a very, very long vacation back to Holland, and each time I'd go back to London for a few days, I'd feel like I'd come home.

I like to call it, Reverse-vacation-that-actually-feels-like-I-belong-there-syndrome.

However, this time around I didn't really feel like that. Well, not that much. There's always the feeling that you want to go back on vacation every time you close the door to your apartment behind you. The feeling that you had enough of everything around you, of everything in your comfort zone that you have experienced all your life. The same people, same habits, same routines and faces, things that are healthy to change, but often don't. Exactly the things that change when you go on vacation.


The feeling you get from hearing a different accent around you, from paying with a different currency, or from traveling in different public transport than you have at home, are all needs that can't be satisfied back home. I personally feel these experiences very strongly, and I've always had the urge to go back to a certain country, after I had spend a certain amount of time in it. However.

This time around, I don't have it.

I just, don't have it.

I don't have the urge to book another ticket to London or the urge to count the pounds that I have left in my wallet, so I can convince myself I have to go back to spend them. I don't have the urge to place Facebook posts about how much I miss London, or the fabulous stores in it, because I don't. Okay, you're right, maybe the stores. But I don't think it's because I simply don't like London anymore. I think it's because I've been there. I've been there, done that. I've been there, done that, and that and THAT, and THAT.
I think it's my mind, subtly telling me that it's almost a shame to keep coming back to the same place, seeing the same things, while there is so much more to see and experience. I truly think,

I've exhausted my love relationship with London.

After so many times, its beauty started to fade a little. The mysteriousness of an unknown city was slowly slipping away as I made it something known to me, little by little. And as much as I still do love London, I think it's time for me to obsess over another country. I think it's time, to love traditions, people, currencies, accents, wonders, and languages of other loveable cities. It's such a big world. It's almost a shame, to not want to wander it. Love for something comes and goes, and it makes me wonder,


Are relationships with cities as fragile as those you have with people?


See you around, London.

Carré.

No comments:

Post a Comment